To analyze the data and determine the results I did the following:
- I compared fluency scores from the beginning, middle, and end of the study (words per minute and errors made).
- I counted the sessions completed and divided by the number of weeks to determine how many sessions per week were done.
- I determined how well each component was completed by each tutor during their sessions and indicated it with a percentage.
- I compared engagement survey questions from the beginning to the end of the study and indicate those with a score that matches the score on the data collection form.
- I analyzed each student’s interest in the study and share their desires to either continue or discontinue tutoring younger peers.
- I summarized teacher, parent, and participant responses to engagement-based survey questions and interviews.
Summary of Session Components
118 Total Sessions
|Tutor was prepared with the correct folder and passages.||100%|
|Tutor turned on audio recorder at the start of the session.||99%|
|Tutor directed tutee to follow along as they read the passage aloud.||97%|
|The tutor read the passage with only random error (<98%).||96%|
|The tutor corrected errors and provided unknown words on the first two read-throughs to at least 90% accuracy.||96%|
|The tutor administered a one-minute probe on the third read through.||100%|
|The tutor marked the errors on the probe||100%|
|The tutor wrote the correct words-correct-per-minute on the probe.||97%|
|The tutor recorded the correct words-correct-per-minute and errors per minute on the data recording form.||100%|
|The tutor gave the tutee a sticker if all components were completed within the 20-minute time frame.||99%|
Summary of Reading Fluency Assessments
|Category||How many students showed improvement?|
|Words Correct Per Minute||5/7|
|Errors in a Minute||7/7|
Summary of Engagement Survey
|I like reading out loud.||5||1||1|
|I like reading to myself.||1||1||5|
|I want to understand more of what I read.||1||6|
|I want to read faster.||2||1||4|
|I want to read harder words and books.||4||3|
|I think I can help others become better readers.||1||1||5|
Explanation of Charts
Each student has three tables that show the tutors’ growth in different areas in the study. The first table shows their accuracy in carrying out the different components of the tutoring sessions. The second table shows the difference in their responses to the reading engagement questions. The third table shows their fluency scores from the beginning, middle, and end of the study. At the end of the tables, there are three summary tables that include data from all seven students.
Study Results – All Student Data Tables
Data Collection Instruments